For the shepherd's pie, we combined these two recipes:
1. Shepherd's Pie (Cottage Pie)
2. Easy Shepherd's Pie Recipe
Here is how we made our Shepherd's Pie..
800g ground beef
1 onion chopped
2 cups vegetables - chopped red, yellow and green bell pepper, carrot and celery
1kg Russet potatoes
1 stick butter
1 cup beef broth
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce,
1 teaspoon dried Rosemary
1 teaspoon dried Thyme
40g Parmesan cheese
Salt, pepper, other seasonings of choice
1. Boil potato in salted water until tender. Peel the skin and mashed the potatoes with 4 tablespoons of butter, season to taste.
2. Sauté onions in butter until tender over medium heat. Add in the bell peppers.
3. Add the carrots and celery in with the onions and peppers and cook until tender.
4. Add ground beef and sauté until no longer pink.
5. Add salt and pepper. Add in dried Rosemary and dried Thyme.
6. Add Worcestershire sauce. Add half a cup of beef broth and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 10 minutes adding more beef broth as necessary to keep moist.
5. Place beef and onions on baking dish.
7. Distribute mashed potatoes on top. Rough up with a fork so that there are peaks that will brown nicely. You can use the fork to make some designs in the potatoes as well.
8. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top of the potatoes.
7. Bake in
The meat was a bit watery because we added in 1 cup right away instead of half a cup. To improve this, we figured we should have added in 1 tablespoon of flour/cornstarch so that the meat will stick to the potatoes better. Nevertheless, it was really yummy and was a hit among our kids as well.